Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My Great Endeavor

I've seen a lot of anarchist texts that address anarchism from an insider's perspective; they have a great appeal to anarchists (and non-anarchist radicals) who are looking to expand their knowledge of the obscure political philosophy of anarchism, however an important demographic is left out in most of these texts: namely the majority of mankind. Very few of the essays, articles, and books on anarchism that I have read provide a simple, illuminating look at anarchism that can be readily understood by non-radicals. The few that I have managed to come across have been hopelessly outdated. The time has come for a tract that appeals to the unfocused disillusionment of the masses and helps people direct their frustration towards useful and sustainable action. Not to be said that it should only appeal to people who are in some ways critical of the system. On the contrary, the bulk of this essay will be focused for the most part on people who are steadfastly devoted to life-long service of the status quo (particularly the more liberal democrats).

I’m going to try to write a longer piece that will hopefully accomplish the aforementioned task, but I’m not a very disciplined writer, so chances are I won’t succeed. However, I will most likely be able to write enough for at least a few cohesive posts. I was going to ask Zeeshan to help me write some of this, but at this point I pretty much consider him to be a lost cause. So it appears that I will be entering this ultimately doomed endeavor alone.

The first “chapter” will deal with the question of why people cling to mainstream politics, and what exactly they think they’re doing by participating in the spectacle of government. I’ve just started writing it, so it will be a while before I post it, but it should be pretty sweet. I imagine that it will provide the most appeal to most people, especially those who don’t give a rat’s ass about Anarchism, and have no interest in learning about it.

On a final note, I’d like to remark on the inspiration for this whole enterprise. For the first time in the history of the philosophical talks I have with my dad over dinner, he actually brought up the topic of anarchism of his own volition. We talked about it for the next hour or so, and for the first time in my life I was able to argue with someone who was actually capable of stringing two coherent thoughts together on the topic of anarchism (not including the anarchists I have argued with). The trick was that, although he didn’t know that much about anarchism, he was a great arguer and also knew a great deal about political philosophy (it may also be because he‘s not a moron, unlike the bulk of people who I talk with about politics). Although the main points he was making were ones that I have heard time and time before, he was actually capable of forming them in articulate and logical ways, and I was really able to elucidate my views on the matter. It really helped me not only understand exactly what I thought about the matter and expand my knowledge of a practical anarchist society, but gave me the tools to argue more comprehensibly on the topic with people who don’t really know what they’re talking about (as well as the people who seem to have some sort of clue).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a question. I don't think anarchism is neccessarily implausible and probably can be quite effective as a mode of governance. However, can it ever sustain an economy as productive as modern capitalism?

I have the impression, although perhaps your anarchist book or whatever might prove otherwise, that anarchy requires some kind of sub-division of a large group of people into extremely small kin-based or something-based communities. I think this might limit the division of labor (obviosuly) in favor of some kind of communal economic activity. See two theories/books: Durkheim and the Division of Labor (and his theory of mechanical vs. organic solidarity societies) and it's also interesting to read some social anthropological studies of semi-anarchic societies (for example Evans-Pritchard's study of the Nuer, which is a bit colonial but interesting and supposed to be a defining example of "ordered anarchicic" society). I would just wikipedia this stuff...

So, perhaps you can tell me, since I haven't really read much anarchist literature, is part of the motivation for a lot of anarchists a return to a basic, communal lifestyle? Does it involve some notion, perhaps vaguely drawn from Marx, of some "human essence" that prefers other a wholesome, communal, well-rounded, idealized, back-to-human-nature lifestyle?

I have the suspcicion that a lot of anarchists have some kind of assumed sense of what is natural and what is not. I think that is a pretty dangerous approach, a kind of "ideological authoritarianism" about what suits human nature and what does not. The problem about theorizing abt human nature is that people's opinions are almost always enmeshed in their own personal experiences, not usually in rationality--besides the fact that its impossible to speak of nay fixed or universal human nature.

So questions, perhaps which you can answer in your book: Does anarchy require a "primitive" economy? What is the primary motivation for anarchists (for capitalists, it seems to be a moralistic obsession with hard work and "deserving what you get")? Why do anarchists go that extra mile beyond libertarians? Is it a rejection of property rights or a moral preference for equality?

Also, is it even possible for nation-state systems to successfully transition to anarchic systems without chaos and violence? Africa, which has seen a sort of demise of effective government, seems to have resulted widely in violent anarchy--perhaps because this anarchy appeared suddenly in a previosuly cenralized state.

ok thats all. this post may have been incoherent. i have slept for like 2 hrs

aditya

6:30 AM  
Blogger Denial so Fragile it Fractures said...

My response is huge so I'm posting it on the main page.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home