Sunday, February 05, 2006

NCOR 2006

So I just returned from the National Coalition of Organized Resistance (click on the header to see the webpage) and it was fucking sweet. There were hundreds of anarchists roaming around the campus of American University this weekend. Along with a ridiculous amount of tid bits about activism and anarchism, I also learned that apparently Sidwell is a radical training ground. Including me and Zeeshan, there were five kids from Sidwell at the conference, including one from our grade. We saw Cat Dawson, Ben Hartman and Tom Frampton (apparently he's part of a radical folk collective; the music's pretty fucking good and you can download it all on the webpage). Zeeshan and I hung up with Ben extensively during the weekend, and we briefly talking to Cat, but did manage to talk to Tom. Anyways, I don't have anything substantive to say, but it was just so refreshing to be with such a large group of people with virtually identical political beliefs to myself. Not that I don't like intellectual diversity, it's just that it's rare for me to be around even two or three people who could even stand to listen to me talking politics. The highlights of the weekend were the Pacifism and Anarchism lecture by Coleman McCarthy, the Against Apocalyptic Anarchism workshop (Zeeshan missed it; the bitch) and the Weatherman workshop in which two former members of the Weather Underground spoke (Bernadine Dohrn and Laura Whitehorn). I felt like a complete political novice (both intellectually and with regard to activism) so it was kind of despressing, but it the potential for achievement and the copious good examples were also inspiring. Alright well I have nothing more to say so I'm gonna cut this off before I start rambling too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home